Common Types of Truck Accidents and Establishing Fault
At their best, traffic accidents involving large commercial trucks can be stressful and overwhelming. At their worst, these accidents can lead to catastrophic injuries, long-term financial hardship, and even death. Unfortunately, semi-truck accidents happen regularly across the State of California. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), in 2021, there were approximately 130,854 traffic accidents involving large semi-trucks and buses across the nation. Approximately 10,000 of these accidents solely involving large trucks occurred in California alone. Although not every semi-truck accident results in fatal injuries, these accidents are nonetheless catastrophic, leaving thousands of people injured each year.
Speak to an Experienced Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
Any traffic accident involving a large commercial vehicle can lead to serious consequences. When a large commercial truck collides with a smaller passenger vehicle, the consequences can be catastrophic. Common injuries resulting from these types of traffic accidents include internal injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and even spinal cord injuries resulting in paralysis. If you were injured in a large semi-truck accident, you will need to take swift action and seek legal representation from an attorney you can depend on. The Law Offices of Attorney Justin H. King has the experience you need to win your case.
Attorney Justin H. King has many years of legal experience representing truck accident victims throughout Southern California. Attorney King deeply understands that semi-truck accidents can have life-changing consequences. Sadly, these accidents tend to have catastrophically adverse effects on victims and their loved ones, including long-term pain and suffering, loss of employment, and even a loss of quality of life. After you have been injured in a truck accident caused by a negligent party, take swift action and speak to an experienced personal injury attorney you can depend on. Consider scheduling a no-obligation consultation with Attorney Justin H. King today.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
A traffic accident can happen for many different reasons, at any time of day and to anyone. Traffic accidents can also involve a wide range of vehicles, including large commercial trucks. Regrettably, no person is free from the potential of being involved in a collision involving a semi-truck, and this places millions of people at risk of serious injury.
When a person is involved in an accident involving a large commercial vehicle, there are unique matters involved that can play a significant role in an accident case. For one, the common commercial truck is significantly bigger than most vehicles on the road. This can place those in the smaller vehicle at an even greater risk of suffering a serious injury when involved in an accident with a large semi. Further, the drivers that operate these vehicles tend to spend a significantly greater time on the road than the average motorist. This usually means that these drivers are at a greater risk of being distracted while driving or can become quickly fatigued when behind the wheel.
While a large truck accident can happen for many different reasons, a vast majority of these accidents happen because the truck’s operator is unable to control the large vehicle. In California, common semi-truck accidents result in:
- Rear-End Accidents – Large trucks tend to require more space when stopping than the average vehicle, and this usually means that rear-end accidents are common among heavy semi-trucks.
- Rollover Accidents – Semi-trucks have a propensity to roll over and this is largely in part due to shifting cargo. This can also happen when the vehicle operator loses control of the vehicle, in which the tractor or trailer portions of the vehicle can force the rest of the vehicle to roll over.
- Blindspot Accidents – Semi-trucks have greater blind spots than most vehicles, and semi-truck operators have to continuously drive with caution to deter sideswiping vehicles traveling alongside them. The failure to see a vehicle, however, is no excuse for an accident. Semi-truck operators cannot merge into a lane or make a turn without providing sufficient warnings to those traveling nearby.
- Jackknife Accidents – Jackknife accidents can happen in situations where the truck does not entirely roll over. Instead, the trailer and tractor portions of the vehicle will fold or swivel where they are linked. This will cause the entire semi to form a “V” shape and potentially slide across the road in this shape, especially when the truck was traveling at high speeds before the incident.
Establishing Fault for a Semi-Truck Accident in California
Establishing fault in a truck accident aligns with most other traffic accidents where liability is based on the theory of negligence. For the most part, a party in the case is negligent when it can be determined that they failed to use a reasonable sense of care to prevent the accident from happening. When a comes to a commercial truck accident, multiple parties could be found negligent, including: The truck operator, The trucking company, The company responsible for the cargo, and The company responsible for maintaining the vehicle.
In the State of California, a party can be held financially liable for an accident when the following elements of negligence are established: 1. The alleged defendant owed the victim a duty of care in ensuring his or her safety; 2. The alleged defendant breached the duty of care through an act of negligence or intentional wrongdoing; 3. The breach in duty of care led to the accident; and 4. The victim sustained injuries and other losses as a result of the accident caused by the breach.
Receive the Compensation You Deserve – Talk to a Trusted Attorney Today
Large commercial truck accidents happen regularly across the roads and highways of Southern California. When an accident happens, it is very likely that those in the smaller passenger vehicle will suffer serious injuries. If you were injured in a semi-truck accident, you may feel overwhelmed with the consequences of the accident and are likely feeling unsure of your financial stability. When the accident was caused as a result of another’s negligence, you should know that you have the opportunity to seek monetary compensation from the party that caused the accident. Speak to a well-versed semi-truck accident attorney who can advocate for your right to full monetary compensation.
Attorney Justin H. King is highly versed in a plethora of traffic accident cases, including complex semi-truck accident cases. Attorney King has successfully helped many clients recover compensation for their loss of wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, and disfigurement caused by the accident. To schedule your complimentary consultation with the Law Offices of Attorney Justin H. King, consider completing the confidential contact form here.
Categories : Truck Accidents
- 1 Dead After Collision Involving Large Truck in Fontana, CA
- Causes & Injuries of Large Semi-Truck Accidents in California
- Common Types of Truck Accidents and Establishing Fault
- 1 Sedan and Two Big Rigs Involved in Traffic Accident on the 60 Fwy Near Chino, CA
- Causes of Truck Driver Negligence: Truck Accidents in Southern California
- California Truck Accident Hot Spots and Elements to Prove Your Accident Case
- Investigations and Compensation after a Southern California Truck Accident
- Truck Accidents in Southern California – A Deadly Truth
- Truck accident injuries can be very serious – obtain the compensation you deserve with proficient legal support.
- Establishing Fault in Truck Accident Cases Is No Easy Feat
- Commercial truck accidents in California are notoriously complex
- Skilled Truck Accident Attorney
- Truck Accidents in California – An Overview
- Big Rigs Collide With One Another in Fontana, Ca
- Family Killed in Traffic Accident in Ontario, Ca