Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer For a Minor Accident?
Accidents can be physically and emotionally traumatic experiences, especially when another person or entity is at fault. If a car accident has injured you, it’s essential to determine whether the situation calls for legal assistance. When choosing whether or not to hire an attorney after a car accident, there are several factors to consider – including the severity of your injuries and the amount of damage caused by the accident.
In this blog post, we’ll help you decide if hiring a car accident lawyer is necessary for minor accidents so you can move forward with confidence and peace of mind knowing you have taken all the required steps towards securing just compensation for any physical or emotional distress caused by your injury. Additional information here.
The benefits of hiring a lawyer
First, you should know that a lawyer will likely get you a better settlement than you can, whether an accident is major or minor. The reason is that an insurance company knows they can give you lowball offers. Why? Because the only way to hold the insurance company accountable and get what you deserve is to file a lawsuit and take the case to trial. The insurance company knows you can’t do that without a lawyer. So whether your accident was minor or significant, you’re typically better off getting a lawyer. Most of the time, once you get a lawyer and they file your case, the insurance company will transfer your case to an adjuster higher up in the company. They will call your lawyer and start making higher offers than they were making to you.
The only time it may not be beneficial to have a lawyer is if the policy limits on the other driver are much lower than what your injury is worth and the insurance company is already offering you their policy limits. In that case, there may not be a reason to bring on a lawyer. On many occasions, I’ve told a potential client that I believe they have a good case, but I’ve confirmed, based on talking to the adjuster, that they’re giving them the policy limit. Sometimes you can tell just based on the number of the offer. Policy limits in California go progressively higher from $15,000 per person to 30,000 per person, and so on. Based on the nature of the injury and the offer the client is telling me they’ve already got, I can read between the lines and tell them that they’re offering the policy limits, and there is no reason to get me involved.
What constitutes the difference between a major and a minor accident?
The distinction between minor and major accidents largely depends on the client’s injuries. Of course, we can all look at devastating impacts that have caused severe physical injury to the people involved, and we can say that it’s a major accident. On the other end of the spectrum, we’ve also seen minor fender-bender-type accidents that don’t cause any injury and would be characterized as minor accidents. But ultimately, whether it’s a minor or a major accident is determined based on the harm it caused you and the effect the accident had on you as an individual. So you should never assume that your injury will not be significant because there wasn’t major physical property damage to the vehicles. Accidents affect people in different ways. The force of the impact usually corresponds to the extent of the injury. But that is not always the case, especially when people have pre-existing conditions exacerbated by an accident. So you should always consult with a lawyer and your doctor. Get input from experts who know what’s going on with you physically and know your legal rights before you make that decision.
What to do if you are injured in a major OR minor accident
For the reasons shown above, most people are better off contacting a lawyer after an accident, whether major or minor. In fact, you want to contact a lawyer as soon as possible so they can begin preserving critical details about your case and evidence of liability.
Call us today for a free consultation if you have been in an accident and have any questions. We would be happy to help you.
Areas served by The Law Offices of Justin H. King
While our office is located in Rancho Cucamonga, California, we serve all of the great surrounding communities in San Bernardino County, California. To the east of the City of Rancho Cucamonga, there’s the city of Upland, known for its charming downtown and historic homes. Upland also offers a variety of parks, hiking trails, and recreational opportunities.
To the west is the city of Fontana, which is home to the Auto Club Speedway and the Lewis Library and Technology Center. Fontana also has a rich history, with roots in the citrus industry, and a growing arts scene.
To the north, there’s the city of Claremont, which is known for its quaint, tree-lined streets and historic architecture. Claremont is home to several colleges and universities, including Claremont McKenna College, Pitzer College, and Scripps College, making it a hub of education and culture.
To the south, there’s the city of Ontario, which is home to the Ontario International Airport and the Citizens Business Bank Arena. Ontario is a hub of commerce and transportation, and offers a wide range of shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
We handle car accident cases in each of these surrounding cities. Learn more!
Categories : General
- Injury Attorneys and Contingency Fees: Navigating Your Case | The Law Offices of Justin H. King, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Significance of Navigating the Legal System with an Accident Lawyer | The Law Offices of Justin H. King, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Navigating the Court System with an Injury Attorney – Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Importance of Gathering Evidence in Accident Cases – Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Role of Expert Witnesses in Car Accident Cases – Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Benefits of an Injury Attorney in Dealing with Insurance Companies – Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Role of Expert Witnesses in Accident Cases – Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Importance of Statute of Limitations in Car Accident Claims – Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Importance of Assessing Damages in Personal Injury Lawsuits – Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Statute of Limitations in Accident Claims – Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Importance of Choosing the Right Car Accident Lawyer: Factors to Consider | The Law Offices of Justin H. King | Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Importance of Evidence Collection in Personal Injury Claims | The Law Offices of Justin H. King | Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Understanding Comparative Fault in Accident Cases | The Law Offices of Justin H. King | Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Legal Process in a Car Accident Claim | The Law Offices of Justin H. King | Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Role of Expert Witnesses in Personal Injury Cases | The Law Offices of Justin H. King | Rancho Cucamonga, CA