The birth of an infant is one of the most cherished moments in the life of a person. Imagining what the life of the child will be like: his or her first steps, first day of school, or perhaps his or her school graduation. From the moment a parent discovers the pregnancy up until the baby’s birth, the least of a parent’s worry should be an injury caused to the birth mother or the baby by a negligent medical expert or hospital. Unfortunately medical negligence is possible and this can cause moderate to severe, life-changing injuries.
If you or someone you know has suffered due to a birth-related medical negligence, consult the support of a specialized medical malpractice or birth injury attorney. An attorney with the right experience can help you to determine if you have a valid case as well as help you put together a solid strategy for a successful birth-related medical malpractice claim.
Different Forms of Birth-Related Injuries Caused By Medical Negligence
The birth of a newborn is a difficult medical procedure that requires delicate care and attention on behalf of the medical specialist handling the baby’s delivery. During this procedure, both the infant as well as the mother require of special attention. According to a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are an average of 5 infant deaths for every 1000 live births. While an infant’s death can be the result of many different things, being under the care of a specific medical specialist should never be. The following list highlights some of the most devastating medical injuries a newborn can undergo during birth.
- Brachial Plexus
- This type of injury can occur in 1 out 1000 childbirths.
- This injury can be the result of an improper delivery practice.
- Cerebral Palsy
- Cerebral Palsy can carry a variety of symptoms, which include, but are not limited to: impairment in bodily movements and poor motor function.
- Cerebral Palsy’s trauma is centered in the brain of the victim.
- Causing factors for Cerebral Palsyinclude, but are not limited to: a premature birth, oxygen deprivation during childbirth, and trauma during birth.
- Medical negligence during childbirth can be another causing factor of Cerebral Palsy. This can include, but is not limited to: a doctor’s failure to use hospital equipment or failing to diagnose a Cerebral Palsy causing factor.
- Spina Bifida
- Spina Bifida is a condition that could occur when a baby’s embryonic neural tube fails to seal itself before the baby is born. While there are remedies that could help the condition after that baby is born, such as operation, there are no better ways to ensure a baby’s health than to use preventative methods.
- Research has indicated that a mother’s prenatal intake of folic acid can greatly reduce a baby’s risk of Spina Bifida.
- A medical specialist’s attentive care before the birth of the baby is crucial to avoiding Spina Bifida. Through attentive care, the medical practitioner could detect the early signs, if there are any.
- In the event that the baby’s Spina Bifida could have been prevented, the parents of the newborn could seek restitution through filing a wrongful birth claim.
Obtain the Legal Support of a Qualified Attorney
If you have suffered injuries due to the negligence of a medical specialist or a hospital, it is important to know your rights. Speak to a qualified attorney who can help you understand your options as well as determining if you have a valid claim.
Attorney Justin H. King has experience in the field of birth-related injuries. If you or someone you know was injured in the course of a pregnancy or through the delivery process, there may be an opportunity to receive restitution for those damages. The injuries sustained from a birth injury can leave the injured victim with lifelong consequences. Birth-related injury claims are time sensitive; contact the support of a professional attorney as soon as possible.