Multi-Vehicle Accident in Fontana Leads to Injuries of Small Children
Fontana, CA (December 2nd, 2020) – On the morning of December 1st, two vehicles were involved in a traffic accident in northern Fontana. The Fontana Police Department reports the accident occurred at around 10:30 a.m. when a white Chevrolet sedan collided with a red Chevrolet pick-up truck at Baseline and Sierra Avenues.
Officer Kevin Anderson from the Fontana Police Department stated that one of the two vehicles involved carried two small children who were injured in the collision. Officer Anderson has reported that both children were transported to a local children’s hospital for their injuries.
Both vehicles were towed from the scene and the collision remains under investigation. Anyone with further information is encouraged to contact the Fontana Police Department.
Car accidents pose serious risks for all age groups, but motor vehicle accidents affect young children at disproportionate rates. A report published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for children between the ages of 2 to 14 years old.
Even when the car accident does not result in death, the injuries sustained by small children in the event of a traffic accident can be dire. One of the most devastating injuries is traumatic brain injuries, where between 2002-2006, 511,257 children between the ages of 0-14 suffered a traumatic brain injury that required medical treatment or resulted in death. Traumatic brain injuries are non-degenerative injuries that result from a blow, jolt or bump to the head or a penetrating injury, which disrupts the normal functioning of the brain.
According to medical research published in the Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury: Characteristic Features, Diagnosis, and Management, traumatic brain injuries are the leading cause of death and disability among young children. These injuries have distinctive characteristics and they differ from adults. According to the article, injured children require long-term follow-up medical care to evaluate their physical and intellectual disability outcomes. In addition, infants and children with traumatic brain injuries require a multidisciplinary approach in treatment to ensure they are receiving optimal care. Whether the injury is minor or it eventually develops into extensive brain damage, early medical treatment can help lessen the severity of the injury. This could result in monumental medical expenses, which are necessary to ensure the child suffers the least neurological damage possible.
A second catastrophic injury a child can suffer is a spinal cord injury, where a sudden and traumatic blow to the spine results in a fractured or dislocated vertebrae. Upon injury, nerve cells that transmit information from the brain to the rest of the body are crushed or destroyed, and this results in an incomplete or complete paralysis.
According to the medical journal Journal of Neurotrauma, spinal cord injuries in the pediatric population carry significant physiological and psychological consequences. The symptoms of a spinal cord injury could include loss of bowel and bladder function, breathing problems, loss of voluntary muscle movement, muscle weakness, and poor blood pressure control. After a traumatic brain injury, recovery will require a long-term hospital stay as well as rehabilitation.
When a traffic accident results in the injury of a small child, the consequences are always devastating. Children are parents’ most prized possessions, and when a sudden accident causes them harm, it can completely devastate the entire family. When the traffic accident has been caused as a result of another’s negligence, there may be an opportunity to recover financial compensation from the at-fault party.
If your child was injured in a car accident that was caused by an intentional act of another driver or someone else’s negligence, consider seeking the legal advice of a qualified personal injury attorney. An experienced auto accident attorney will ensure the highest amount of compensation is obtained, which will help the child in his or her journey for recovery.
The Law Offices of Attorney Justin H. King is highly versed in auto accident cases. The firm has successfully litigated hundreds of car accidents, including car accidents that resulted in children’s injuries. When a car accident results in catastrophic injuries to a small child, the injuries can impact the child for the rest of his or her life. Unfortunately, without a substantial damages award, the child will not be able to obtain the medical care he or she needs to achieve a full recovery. As a result, Attorney Justin H. King works aggressively to ensure his clients obtain the highest amount of compensation available. After a car accident, consider obtaining the support of the Law Offices of Attorney Justin H. King. Call or fill out the online contact form for a free case evaluation today.
- Personal Injury Attorney in Rancho Cucamonga for Car Wreck Victims | The Law Offices of Justin H. King
- Local Car Accident Lawyer in San Bernardino: Protect Your Rights After an Accident | The Law Offices of Justin H. King
- San Bernardino Car Accident Lawyer: Get the Compensation You Deserve
- Rancho Cucamonga Accident Attorney: Legal Representation for Personal Injury
- Personal Injury Attorneys in Rancho Cucamonga: The Importance of Experienced Car Accident Lawyers
- The Role of Medical Records in Car Accident Claims | The Law Offices of Justin H. King, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Navigating the Court System with a Car Accident Lawyer | The Law Offices of Justin H. King, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Financial Impact of an Accident: How an Accident Lawyer Can Help | The Law Offices of Justin H. King, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Benefits of a Car Accident Lawyer in Dealing with Insurance Companies | The Law Offices of Justin H. King, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- The Importance of Legal Representation in Car Accident Claims | The Law Offices of Justin H. King
- The Common Types of Car Accident Cases Handled by Car Accident Lawyers | The Law Offices of Justin H. King | Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Finding the Right Ontario Personal Injury Lawyer: The Key to Getting the Compensation You Deserve
- Attorney Justin H. King Featured in The Recorder
- 1 Dead After Collision Involving Large Truck in Fontana, CA
- Pedestrian is Killed in Accident in Upland