A recent accident in Discovery Bay involving a big rig resulted in a power surge. The big rig collided into a power pole, which knocked down lines and sheared the pole in half. Residents of the area reported a power explosion that caused a deafening noise and threw projectiles several meters. Fortunately, the driver of the rig was not seriously injured. The Pacific Gas and Electric Company reports that the high power transmission lines at the top of these types of poles carry 60,000 volts. These high power transmission lines crossed with lower residential lines during the accident, which were charged with 21,000 volts. The meeting of these two lines caused a power surge. A nearby school was evacuated as a result of this accident.
Common Causes of Power Line Accidents – There are several different ways in which power line accidents can occur. Some of the most common causes of these accidents include the following:
● Adverse weather and climate conditions.
● Construction cranes that collide with power lines.
● Defectively installed power lines.
● Drilling and excavation work that is performed near power lines.
● Dump trucks and other large vehicles including big rigs that collide with power lines.
● Electrical companies that fail to properly maintain power lines.
● Large vehicles that collide with power lines.
● Trees that fall on power lines.
● Underground construction that causes the power line to fall.
The Nature of Dangerous Activities – In the state of California, work on power lines is considered a dangerous activity. As a result, power companies and workers must take great caution when handling power lines when these lines are at risk of causing injury to others or damaging property. The absence of caution in these situations is often found to constitute negligence.
The Types of Injuries Caused by Electrocution – Electrical injuries are often quite serious and can even result in death. Treatment for electrical injuries often requires extended hospitalization. Some of the most common electrical injuries include the following:
● Breathing problems.
● Damage to internal organs.
● Irregular heartbeat.
● Lung failure.
● Nerve damage.
● Permanent brain damage.
● Problems hearing and swallowing.
● Vision difficulty including blindness.
Steps to Take After a Motor Vehicle/Power Line Accident – There are some important steps that motorists should take when they are involved in a power line accident, which include:
● If a vehicle directly collides with a power line, remain inside the vehicle and wait for the help of emergency workers.
● If you must escape the vehicle due to the danger of fire, tuck your arms and jump out of the vehicle so that your body does not touch the automobile and the ground at the same time.
● For bystanders who witness an accident occur, avoid approaching the accident scene.
Speak to a Personal Injury and Accident Attorney – Accidents involving power lines often result in serious injuries and even fatalities. If you or a loved one is seriously harmed in a power line accident, contact a knowledgeable accident attorney. The Law Office of Justin H. King represents victims who have suffered injury or worse in auto accidents. His office also covers a wide scope of personal injury related claims/case, such as auto accidents, dog bites, wrongful death and more, you can see them all here. Justin H. King is nationally recognized and offers his dedicated and personal representation to victims throughout the Inland Empire.